[Logo] Enterprise Client Community
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
combofield flickering on click to close  XML
Forum Index -> Development
moebus

Power User

We have a combo field.
Click on icon opens the list - OK.
Another click on the icon should close the list. It does so indeed, but when you look a bit more precisely, the list is first closed, then reopened, and then closed again.
CaptainCasa

Power User
[Avatar]

...yes, only happens if really clicking on icon, but definitely happens... - we will fix...

Björn

Björn Müller, CaptainCasa GmbH
CaptainCasa

Power User
[Avatar]

We provided http://www.CaptainCasa.com/download/setup_2_5_20090716_Interim.exe - this should solve the close-window-problem.

....could you please check? Would be great to get your feedback soon... THANKS!

Björn

moebus

Power User

Installed new version, result is:
On the click in question, the popup now closes and reopens.
So this makes 50% achieved... .

...speaking more seriously, hopefully I made it clear what we consider the desired behavior: the second click closes the list and that is it - all windows comboboxes (and also in browser) behave like this.

thanks for your quick reaction.
regards
Manfred.
CaptainCasa

Power User
[Avatar]

Hi,

from my perspective the behaviour now is representing the correct and consistent behaviour. The popup closes when the user clicks outside the popup - and it opens when the user clicks the icon.

If the icon is clicked and the popup already is open then this exactly happens: a re-opening of the popup. MYbe there is someone outside who wants to refresh the popup data and the user can observer by click-click-click on icon.

(I should have written in the previous post, that this is the behaviour what we think is correct, so that there is no cofusion...).

So 50% is ...100%! ;-)

Regards, Björn

moebus

Power User

close + reopen is against standard windows behavior.
Can directly experience this while I type this reply in forum editor, 2 cm above these words.

Typical usecase is non-power-user scanning through a view to find what to fill into the fields. Position mouse on the drop down button to open the list, find there is nothing of interest and (without having moved the mouse) click again to close the list.

Don't want to argue against your usecase, but then you should provide either a flag to switch between the two behaviors, or arrange your code such that this effect can easily be overwritten in a subclass (...and tell us the method name).

regards
Manfred
CaptainCasa

Power User
[Avatar]

Hi,

let's continue the "battle for details"! ;-)

There is no 100% "default behaviour", if you look on Eclipse button-menus then they also re-open (screenshot below). - Comboboxes behave the way you say, no doubt on this from my side...

We would like to keep the behaviour as is, because the other behaviour would mean a major confusion with some if-then-whatever-flags in the client. The popup closes if someone clicks outside (i.e. window losing focus), the popup opens if the icons is pressed. So at least it's not confusing for the user.

...hope this is not too far away from being acceptable...

Björn

...and, of course: Close/open/close - the behaviour that your post started with, this was definitely confusing...

CaptainCasa

Power User
[Avatar]

...forgot to attach the example... Björn
[Thumb - eclipsemenu.png]
 Filename eclipsemenu.png [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 15 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  417 time(s)

moebus

Power User

So one thing is menu, other thing is combofield, where eclipse also works "normal".

And even if eclipse choses to reopen the menu on second click this need not be taken as definitive standard - microsoft products like explorer, outlook etc. behave differently.

Forum Index -> Development
Go to: