[Logo] Enterprise Client Community
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Number of roundtrips in idvalueselection (and other lists)  XML
Forum Index -> Development
moebus

Power User

Hi,
just remarked the number of roundtrips that are generated when navigating in a list with the scroll bar.
In my example I have a value help list of 130 elements, and the standard idvalue help popup displays around 12 of them.
While it is probably a good idea to fetch only one page at a time, it is very strange that every single scroll click (even one line forward and back) causes a roundtrip and fetches each of the 12 items that are currently visible. And the way jsf is implemented this roundtrip checks every single property of the server on a possibly rather large screen; even if the number of transferred data may be small due to delta management, this causes lots of server load.

It would be much more appropriate if the client requested pages of data as needed, and keeping adjacent pages in memory does scrolling of its own, until it comes to a page that has not yet been requested.

And for that matter if we have just a few 100 entries, and an efficient way to transfer them (...thinking of new arraygrid...), it might be as efficient to transfer them all and have no scrolling at all.

regards
Manfred
CaptainCasa

Power User
[Avatar]

Hi,

what we can short term do: we can isolate the eventing of the popup (same way as the isolation of events in a normal ROWINCLUDE), so that only the popup's content is scanned for updates. This will significantly decrease the scroll-load on server side!

The other thing "buffering read-only lists" regularly pops up... - I believe we should make an own forum-issue out of this, because the valid values list is just an example.(?)

Thanks for this input! Björn

Björn Müller, CaptainCasa GmbH
CaptainCasa

Power User
[Avatar]

...today's update contains the "isolated scrolling" for IdTextSelection.
Björn

Björn Müller, CaptainCasa GmbH

Forum Index -> Development
Go to: