[Logo] Enterprise Client Community
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Storing database connection on Dispatcher (Workplace)  XML
Forum Index -> Development
vadingding

Power User
[Avatar]

Hi Captain,

(I am using WorkplaceAPI)

Is it a good idea to store users database connection on Dispatcher ?

Thanks,
Vincent
CaptainCasa

Power User
[Avatar]

Hi,

two answers:

In principal the dispatcher is a central object within the objects on server side. So the idea to plug data there is 100% OK. Please pay attention, that in a workplace the dispatcher is hierarchized, so there is the most-outest dispatcher (top dispatcher) and there is a sub-dispatcher per workpage. - Each dispatcher has an owner (getOwner()), the sub-dispatchers return the top dispatcher, the top-dispatcher is returning null. - The top-dispatcher is created with a constructor without parameter, sub.dispatchers are created through the constructor.

Is it a good idea to store connections? Normally not!... Connections should be active for a short point of time only (request enters system until response is given). It's a common pattern to avoid connections which span the duration of a user session. - Maybe you meant with "connection" a "connection provider", then it's OK.

ALTERNATIVE TO DISPATCHER:

An alternative to using the dispatcher is to use the "dialog session context on server side", which I would prefer to use. Example: the following stores the user-name in the central context:

Code:
 public class ViewContext
 {
     private static final String KEY = ViewContext.class.getName();

private String m_userName;

// ------------------------------------------------------------------------
     // constructors
     // ------------------------------------------------------------------------

public static ViewContext instance()
     {
         ISessionAbstraction dialogSession = HttpSessionAccess.getCurrentDialogSession();
         ViewContext result = (ViewContext)dialogSession.getAttribute(KEY);
         if (result == null)
         {
             result = new ViewContext();
             dialogSession.setAttribute(KEY,result);
         }
         return result;
     }

public String getUserName() { return m_userName; } 
     public void setUserName(String userName) { m_userName = userName; }    

}

Why do I prefer this in front of the dispatcher?

You can extend the implementation of the instance() method to be also used from processing which is not part of the CaptainCasa request-response cycle. - Example: you may outsource certain operations into a separate thread (which then does not know about "dialog sessions"!). You can extend the instance() method e.g. by binding the ViewContext to the current thread - and still use it also from the processing within this thread.

Regards, Björn

Björn Müller, CaptainCasa GmbH
vadingding

Power User
[Avatar]

Hi,

I am using pooled connection. So is connection provider == pooled connection ? If it is then I'm safe.

But definitely will try your alternative.

For now we are storing database connection on HttpSession which is really bad. So Im finding an alternative right now.
CaptainCasa

Power User
[Avatar]

Hi,

@pooled connection: if you make sure that the connection is closed after each request/response then it's OK. But: without explicitly closing the connection, the pool does not help you ;-).

Björn

Björn Müller, CaptainCasa GmbH
vadingding

Power User
[Avatar]

Hi,

Yes got it! Thanks for this.

Forum Index -> Development
Go to: