[Logo] Enterprise Client Community
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Client unexpectly ends without any error message with java 8 update 40  XML
Forum Index -> Deployment
krinninger

Power User

Hello,

currently we face an issue with java 8 update 40 which was released yesterday.
When client is startet with webstart in conjunction with this version it unexpectly quits without any error message.
In is not quite obvious in which state this happens. Sometimes it happens during start, sometimes not until after a few minutes.

This not just happens with our application but also with e.g. this demo application
http://www.captaincasademo.com/ccdemos/startdemosall.jnlp

does anybody else also having trouble with this java version?

kind regards,
Michael
CaptainCasa

Power User
[Avatar]

...I just installed Java 8 40 and tested the demo app.

I started 10 times and then used some of the demos quite intensively (like a monkey...). I could not experience a crash right now...

Any details are welcome on this...

Björn

Björn Müller, CaptainCasa GmbH
krinninger

Power User

this happens on my machine but also colleagues and customers are affected.
we are investigating this issue right now, but have no final clue yet.
 Filename hs_err_pid8136.log [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 25 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  736 time(s)

moebus

Power User

Want to confirm that the bug can be provoked easily from my home pc which is definitely "Standard" simple Laptop (win 8.1-64bit). Just have to open the captain-demo-page, klick around in large-Output -> array-grid (Scrolling, opening the popups row-details, grid-columns), typically in less than a minute the Client vanishes.

However noticed that only the 32-bit Version seems to be affected, the 64-bit Version has survived my clickings so far.
Manfred
CaptainCasa

Power User
[Avatar]

Hi,

it seems that passing "more than enough" memory also bypasses the problem... If starting the client with 256m and allowing it to take 512m I could not reproduce the problem.

...the problem also "only" occurs in the WebStart scenario - starting the client as appliaction, also does not show up the error...

Regards, Björn

CaptainCasa

Power User
[Avatar]

...and: I postend one crash-dump to the corresponding Java-site...

Reagrds, Björn

CaptainCasa

Power User
[Avatar]

...just to summarize and highlight this issue:

There is an issue with Java 8.40. We currently only can observe that the client suddenly crashes (disappears). We do not know any exact procedure to reproduce - it just happens all by a sudden, without any specific user interaction before.

The crashes only occur in the following environment:
1. Java 8.40 32 bit
2. Webstart

We could not see any crashes in 64 bit environment.
We could not see any crashes in 32 bit environment when being started as application or by applet.

There seems to be some correlation with memory configuration. The crashes seem to happen more seldomly when using a client memory configuration with a start heap size of 256 MB (=> client parameter -Xms256m).

We'll let you know when knowing anything new.

Regards, Björn

CaptainCasa

Power User
[Avatar]

There is now an officeial bug report: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8075321

Björn

PS: the status "resolved" is not true... there seems to be some internal error in the bug system

CaptainCasa

Power User
[Avatar]

Hi,

when doing some "community testing" http://www.captaincasademo.com/forum/posts/list/2169.page the great conclusion is:

Remove BOTH VM parameters "-dsa -Xnoclassgc" in your JNLP file!

Regards! Björn

PS:
I have to repeat my big THANKS! to all participants and I believe it's OK to express special thanks to Roland Heinrichs who found the way to bypass this ugly problem.

Forum Index -> Deployment
Go to: