[Logo] Enterprise Client Community
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
File Download Improvements  XML
Forum Index -> Development
heyl

Power User

Hi Björn,

I have some ideas concerning the file download:

1. as it seems to me the style variant is not coming through
2. is it possible to add an action listener to perform some additional action after the download (i.e. close a popup)? I tried, but it does not seem to work.
3. if I set an image (instead of a text) some of it is cut off at the top
4. (rather than 3.) Is it possible to attach the download functionality to a button or icon? (Would be nice for file upload either)
5. Is there anything you can do about the file selection dialog? (use a file save dialog for instance, or use something like the windows down load dialog?)

Thanks for evaluating my ideas benevolently.

Frauke
heyl

Power User

Sorry, the style is working (just forgot that it's not a link and I had to add it to the styles.xml)

Frauke
CaptainCasa

Power User
[Avatar]

There will be some improvements we are just working on... I hopefully will not forget to write these improvements into this post when they are finished...

Björn

Björn Müller, CaptainCasa GmbH
CaptainCasa

Power User
[Avatar]

Hi Frauke,

the next version contains:

(1) Donwload button is named "Download", and not "Open"
(2) Filename can be explicitly set
(3) The download status is shown longer, esp. when a successful download is done then the success popup is shown to the user for some seconds (and then is closed automatically)
(4) Download is available as Button as well. A button is the more general form of an icon (icon is just an abbreviation), so you can form you icon (contentareafilled=false image=...)

There is currently no "back event" to the server. This is something we can add. Not ultra-short-term, but it's in our lists.

Björn

hilka

Power User

Hello,

is there any possibility to perform some action BEFORE the download window opens?

I have the problem that I want to export some data from database in a file on client side. I need some action where I can get the data from database and put the file to disk to let the download-component do their work. I don't want to do this on construction of my bean, I want to do it when the user presses the button.

Any possibilities to do so? actionEvent does not work in this case.

Tobias
heyl

Power User

Yes, I would need both:
an event BEFORE and one AFTER the download.
That would be great.

In the moment I help myself by using a button that opens a dialog that shows the download link.
And I prepare the file when the user presses the first button.
But from the user's view this might seem to be one click to much.

Frauke
heyl

Power User

Hi Björn,

Could you please have another look at item (3) of my suggestion list.
The icon is cut off and that looks strange when the link is positioned next to correctly sized icons.
Setting the height property leads to the complete disappearing of the image.

Thanks
Frauke
CaptainCasa

Power User
[Avatar]

Hi Frauke and Tobias,

the icon which is cut off: we cannot reproduce... our icons are still well-formed. Could you give us more details on this? Thanks!

Explicitly calling an event before/after pressing the button: could this not be done as part of the processing that you start with the URL? I.e. servlet URL which does not point to a straight file, but to a program which then "unpacks" data on request.

I would like to avoid some "ping pong" between the client and the server, which is always a bit suspicious to fail...

Björn

Forum Index -> Development
Go to: