[Logo] Enterprise Client Community
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Development Environment needs restarts on *every* change  XML
Forum Index -> Deployment
glatz

Hi Community,

I'm using OpenSuse 11.1 with a own tomcat 6.0.20 installation. Just copied the editor.war and demos.war over to my webapp directory.

Now using the editor and eclipse to develop. If I change anything in the Java Code with Eclipse, the editor recognizes the changes, but the application itself do not! Regardless of change is just within a Method (I know that hot code replace only works if there is no change on the structure of a class).

After a change, all elements which are connected to this Bean-Class will not work (no data, no events). Can't see any error in the logs of tomcat.

The only way to get it working: Use the editor and call "Tools -> Clean deployed WebApp & ..." - after that restart Tomcat. This is a very annoying process.

I've searched the PDF-Doku about "debug", 0 results ;-)

Any ideas to speed up this "use-case" ?

Regards,
Karl

PS: Eclipse "Synch" Plugin is installed an the view is open!
CaptainCasa

Power User
[Avatar]

Hi,

hmm: if you use editor und application in the same Tomcat, and due to whatever constellation within your application you quite often need to restart the whole Tomcat: do not blame our editor!!!! ;-)

In general we recommend to run our editor in a Tomcat on its own (e.g. in embedded scenario), but OK, for "small scenarios" you can also use one Tomcat for both editor and application.

So, the main question I see is, how to restart your application webapp without restarting whole Tomcat. Typically the development takes place in project dir (eclipse-workspace) and you periodocally copy the whole stuff into your Tomcat - this is what "reload" is doing, copying webcontent directory out of the project into the Tomcat.
And then there's an additional thing reload is doing, it restarts your webapp by contacting the Tomcat manager web-application. In this application /webapps/manager/WEB-INF/web.xml you need to remove all security constraints! - otherwise the restart cannot be triggered from outside.

Please check the Developer's Guide, chapter "Principles of Development - Somte Details about the Tomcat Configuration".
And: Installation Guide, chapter "Deploying into an existing Tomcat Environment - Configuration for Development Usage".
There is quite detailled information about this configuration.

I do not know what all this has to do with "debug"... ;-)

Björn

Björn Müller, CaptainCasa GmbH

Forum Index -> Deployment
Go to: