[Logo] Enterprise Client Community
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
calling CaptainCasa from SmallTalk  XML
Forum Index -> Development
mrentschler

hi,

i'm looking for some experience about this theme.
the requirements: calling a captaincasa gui from a smalltalk fat client

kind regards

michael
moebus

Power User

If you are not talking about "embedding" captaincasa screens in your application, it is as simple as invoking an exe (javaw.exe with PageBrowser class), or a url (the applett or webstart url).

Hope this helps
Manfred
mrentschler

hello manfred, tanks for the answer. it "sounds" very easy. we talk not about a "embedding" part of captaincasa screens in the small talk application. we talk about the possibility to call a j2ee application with captaincasa gui and the possibility to call the smalltalk fat client from the captaincasa gui on the same desktop...

do you have a possibility to test this a scenario like this??

kind regards
Michael
moebus

Power User

sorry but I don't get what is your "real" problem.

what this thread contains is rather loose wordings about "calling" from one application to another, even "from" and "to" seem to be mixed.

You have to differentiate precisely between "starting" the other application and "contacting" the other application.

The scenario described in my first reply was "start captaincasa from smalltalk"; how to start another process should be familiar to your smalltalk developers.

Other scenario might be "start smalltalk from captaincasa"; don't know for sure if this is possible out of the box, but can surely be implemented as a new control; might be possible already now when smaltalk client registers a certain file type (e.g. *.smalltalk), and in captain casa you download such a file with immediate "open" (such a control is available in captaincasa), and then the OS will start your registerd smalltalk, you can use this file to contain appropriate parameters so that the smalltalk process will show the correct views (...same as downloading a word document and have winword started).

next scenario is contacting the other application when it is alreadly running: this is probably best done using socket communication. This should be available on the smalltalk part, it is available in captaincasa client; of course you will have to invent some protocol which both sides understand, and it might be difficult to bring the other application really into focus, since the operating system typically doesn't allow another application to grab the foreground, it will merely blink in the task bar.

cannot come up with code since I doubt we use the same smalltalk.

Manfred
mrentschler

Hello Manfred, thank you for this extensive information. Sorry my english is very bad to describe our problem with the "right" words. But i understand your description about the possible scenarios and the solutions.

Michael

Forum Index -> Development
Go to: