[Logo] Enterprise Client Community
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
SURVEY: eliminate crimson, replace by xerces for 2.2?  XML
Forum Index -> Development
CaptainCasa

Power User
[Avatar]

Hi Community,

we would like to get rid off the crimson-parser that we up to now use for our internal SAX parsing, and replace it by Xerces parser, latest version (2.9).

Background: embedding crimson.jar into WEB-INF/lib causes problems when working with Spring framework, when deploying to JBoss and in some other application situations.

Now the question to you: if there is any constraint for us doing this replacement, then please tell us.

THANKS! Björn

PS: of course you can afterwards continue using crimson.jar, but then have to explicitly copy it into WEB-INF/lib and then have to maintain eclntjsfserver/config/system.xml accordingly.

Björn Müller, CaptainCasa GmbH
hilka

Power User

Hello Björn,

fine with us, we are already using xerxes. Would be nice if this is the default parser.

Tobias
schmuck

Power User
[Avatar]

I'm sorry, I'm not really fimilar to these to parsers. I'm able to use these, but where are the benefits of each one?

regards,
Michael Schmuck
[ICQ]
CaptainCasa

Power User
[Avatar]

Well, in principal they do exactly the same. There are certain environments (e.g. using Spring) in which usage of crimson is not woring (I believe due to version problems). In this case you need to remove crimson, use xerces instead and change a certain configuration file.
When CaptainCasa uses xerces on its own, there is no need to update these scenarios. Xerces is a more commonly used by other tools / libraries, so we adapt to these scenarios (without any negative effect).

Btw.: also the JRE has a SAX parser, of course. But: it has a bad error, which we detected and also commiunicated to Sun... So we definitely need an parser-from-outside, and now prefer xerces in front of crimson.

Björn

Björn Müller, CaptainCasa GmbH

Forum Index -> Development
Go to: