[Logo] Enterprise Client Community
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
memory serverside  XML
Forum Index -> Development
gargula

Power User

Hi community,

i have a quetsion about the memory...
Can you say me, how much memory needs one client with one http-session on serverside?
I think, that we have a poblem when we have f.e. 100 Clients with 2 http-sessions?

I need this info, to know how much memory the server needs?!?

Sorry for this bad english, but I think, that you understand me...

Thanks
Chrsitian
schmuck

Power User
[Avatar]

Hello,

my test give me the result that one session consumes round about 1,5 - 2 MB ram. Then you have just a empty session with some GUI Elements.

The next thing is your business data. This is the mutch more critical point of view! ( e.g. Jasper, Huge Tables etc .....

Michael

[ICQ]
CaptainCasa

Power User
[Avatar]

Hi,

I did some measurements:

The way I measured:

(.) I have a page (that is now part of the demo workplace) that shows the used memory (the one you get fomr Runtime.getRuntime(). ...). I.e. you need to measure in this Java level, any looking into Windwos task manager is not giving any results... From the page you can start the garbage collector as well.

(.) I start Tomcat, show the memory, and presse "Garbage Collect" until memory is minimal...

(.) Now I start 10 parallel clients with a certain application, so that they all show up in parallel.

(.) Now I go back to the memory page, presse "Garbage Collect" until memory is minimal again - and then compare.

Result:
10 * Simple Screen (hello world -level): Memory on serve side increases bei 1.6 MB ==> 160kByte per Session
10 * Complex Screen (Demo Workplace): Moemory on server side increases by 5.5 MB ==> 1/2 MB per Session
In both scenarios there is not database connection of the application etc.

Result: JSF / CaptainCasa does not require much memory itself - there is the tree of components which is typically kept in memory between two requests (yes, it can be passivated as well, but this is not what typically happens). The main chunk normally is the application objects (stateful managed beans).

Björn

Björn Müller, CaptainCasa GmbH

Forum Index -> Development
Go to: