[Logo] Enterprise Client Community
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Font chooser  XML
Forum Index -> Development
heyl

Power User

Hi Björn,

I have a wunderful idea for a new feature:

a font chooser control.
It should display the system font names which everybody is familiar with.
Right now I am using the file chooser, which displays the file names of the fonts, which no user knows.

Please think about it!

Frauke
CaptainCasa

Power User
[Avatar]

Hi Frauke,

yes, this is "do-able", I expect the output format is a font-string in CaptainCasa style.
THe control would be a "combo style" input field, so taht the user can either select the font from the popup or input the font manually. When pressing the combo icond then the typical Font Chooser popup comes up.

OK?

Björn

Björn Müller, CaptainCasa GmbH
heyl

Power User

Hi Björn,

to be sure I got you right:

If the file chooser popup comes us, you display the font names instead of the file names? That would be great!
On my side, I also need the physical file name of the font as output (for embedding the font into a PDF file)!
What do you mean with "font string in CaptainCasa style"?

Thanks
Frauke
CaptainCasa

Power User
[Avatar]

Hi,

I attached the screenshot of a typical font chooser dialog.

The result would be following the text format you use for defining a font in CaptainCasa: "family:Courier;size:12;weight:bold".

The fonts that are displayed are the Java Fonts, i.e. not the operating system fonts. How you can get to font files to be embedded...? Hmm. I do not know...

Björn

[Thumb - fontchooser.png]
 Filename fontchooser.png [Disk] Download
 Description Font Chooser
 Filesize 13 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  423 time(s)

Björn Müller, CaptainCasa GmbH
heyl

Power User

Hi Björn,

I use JasperReports to generate the PDF files and I pass the font file path to the report generator. The Jasper Report generator needs to read the font file physically! The font is embedded into the resulting PDF.
The usual font settings are not sufficient.

No wait a minute... this is all wrong anyway.... I need to select the font file from the server, because the report generator is running there and thats the reason why we need the embedded font in the PDF. Because the font might not be available on the client - and doesn't need to be.

May be I should forget about the font chooser in this case and let the user enter the path directly?

Frauke

Forum Index -> Development
Go to: