[Logo] Enterprise Client Community
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Managing Captain Casa dependencies using Maven/Ant/Ivy  XML
Forum Index -> Development
hilka

Power User

Hello Community,

we are about to improve the configuration management of our development projects so that we can easily use our project on a continuous integration server.
Currently (and most probably also in the future) we use ant for building our application. For managing dependencies, we use Apache Ivy, which is an addition to ant for managing dependencies (just like maven does).

Currently, when we want to use a new version of Captain Casa, we check in the whole webappaddons directory of CaptainCasa to our local repository. Since, in my opinion, this is a bit of an overkill, we want to manage our dependencies together with the dependencies of CaptainCasa. One thing we want to achieve is to avoid duplicate jar files in our war file (e.g. commons-collections, since we use version 3.2 instead of 2.1.1). So just copying the webappaddons dir is no solution. For some other parts(like the subdirs eclnt, eclntjsfserver), this is not a very big deal, although we already do some modifications to the original content (e.g. add some more translations in other languages).

Now to the heart of my question: How do you manage your dependencies in conjunction with Captain Casa? How do you proceed when you switch to the latest version of Captain Casa?

Tobias
mreich

Power User
[Avatar]

Hi Tobias,

now 5 years later are you still using Maven? I'm planing to set a up my new project with maven, but I'm also not sure how to properly handle the dependencies?

regards
Markus
[WWW]
hilka

Power User

Hi Markus,

actually, we are not using Maven but we are using Ant and Ivy as our build system.

We have special eclipse projects that create artifacts for the client components of Captain Casa (= the libs that go to eclnt/lib) since we wrote some special client controls and we need to take care of properly signing the client jar files.

For the Server side (= all libs that go to WEB-INF/lib) we have a ivy configuration that includes all the dependencies that are part of the standard delivery of Captain Casa. This worked quite well over the last few years.

Tobias

Forum Index -> Development
Go to: